Sunday, January 22, 2012

Snow!!

On Saturday, the day before the Chinese new year's eve, it snowed for the first time. Kevin and I had decided to go on a walk (the best way we've found to explore the city, either with a destination in mind or without) and after getting all bundled we walked out to discover snow falling from the sky. I could hardly contain my glee. I believe at one point I was jumping up and down yelling "eeeeeee" and trying to catch snowflakes on my tongue (after about 10 seconds I realized that while it was snow, we were still in China and therefore it probably wasn't a good idea to catch pollution snowflakes on one's tongue).








We picked the direction North East and began walking. It was rather cold, but we needed to get veggies to stir fry for dinner, so we drove on, enjoying the almost silent surroundings and peaceful snowfall. Most stores had closed up, there were almost no people on the streets, and for once the city wasn't filled with car horns, most people having decided to stay inside rather than face trying to drive in the snow.

While the emptiness was wonderful, it did make it a challenge to try to find a veggie market. We eventually ended up in a supermarket, it being the only thing aside from fast food that was open.


The snow made me giddy and homesick at the same time. I liked the sharp cold that hits your face when you're all bundled up and the wind blows the snow, but it made me want to go home. I suppose all that's left to do is snuggle up by the fire (i.e. space heater near our bed) and read a book. More on New Years soon!







Love,







Maggie

No comments: